Even if you are not addicted to social media, getting your Instagram account disabled can be a nightmare. Not just will you lose access to all your followers. Also, all the pictures and videos on your Instagram account will be gone. The only way to get all this data and media back is by retrieving your account.
Finding out that your Instagram account has been disabled for no clear reason is not uncommon. Over the past couple of years, many users have been complaining about this. It is especially confusing as Instagram does not provide any warnings or a reason for disabling the account.
Fortunately, getting your Instagram account back is not an impossible mission. It could be a mistake that you could easily get resolved. Here are a few tips that could help you save your Instagram account:
Why did Instagram deactivate your account?
To get your Instagram account back, you need to understand why it was disabled in the first place. Instagram can close your account for various reasons. However, when you try to log in, you will only get a warning message that your account has been disabled. Instagram will not mention any reasons or details that could help you understand.
Things like posting illegal activities, hate speech, nudity, or graphic violence are reasons for getting your Instagram account disabled. You should not also post content that is protected by copyright. If it gets reported, you will face the risk of having your Instagram account disabled.
Taking a fake identity or using third-party software to increase your followers and likes is also prohibited. It will get your Instagram account banned. In short, any activity that Instagram AI-powered algorithm finds odd can get your account suspended.
How long does Instagram disable your account?
It depends on the situation and why your Instagram account got disabled. However, in most cases, Instagram account recovery takes just a few days. Sometimes, it can take a few weeks.
In all cases, do not get discouraged. Be patient and persistent. If disabling your Instagram account was a mistake, you will be able to recover it. However, if you have repeatedly violated Instagram’s terms and guidelines, you might lose your account permanently.
The sooner you react to the disabled account incident, the quicker it will get resolved. That is why you should contact Instagram as soon as you discover that your account has been disabled. If you do not get an answer, do not give up. Try sending Instagram your complaint or inquiry over and over again.
Many incidents do not get resolved from the first appeal. However, once you receive a reply from Instagram, the issue usually gets fixed quickly. In general, most appeals get resolved within 72 hours. Meanwhile, do not forget to check your e-mail inbox and also junk mail. The Instagram team might contact you there to provide more details about the incidents. They can also send you a rejection for your request, which you can appeal.
How to recover a disabled Instagram account?
Getting your Instagram account disabled can be frustrating. However, you should never lose hope. Take action immediately and start a plan to recover your account. The good news is, that there are a few methods you can follow to win your Instagram account back. These are not complicated, but the process can take some time. Nevertheless, it will be all worth it, when you retrieve all your lost photos and videos on your Instagram account.
Here is a quick guide of what you can do to recover your Instagram account:
Make sure the account is disabled
Before starting the journey of saving your Instagram account, you need to make sure it is actually disabled. Not being able to log into your Instagram account, does not mean it got suspended. It could be simply a login problem. You could have entered the wrong password.
So, try to log-in again. If the account got disabled, you should also get a warning message. It will inform you clearly that your Instagram account has been suspended.
Appeal Instagram’s decision
Now that you know your Instagram account has been disabled, you need to start the appeal process. You can repeat this step several times, until you recover your account. This can be both boring and exhausting. However, it is worth it, if you want to recover your Instagram account.
Appealing to Instagram’s decision is a pretty easy process. Just follow these steps:
- Visit Instagram’s official contact page. There, you will find an appeal form that must be filled.
- Carefully, fill in the form with all the required information.
- Click the “Send” button at the end of the form.
Before submitting your appeal form, you can use these tips to speed up the process:
- Do not apologize! This can be taken as a sign of accepting that your account should be suspended. You can say you were not aware of Instagram’s exact terms and conditions. Writing an apology, on the other hand, makes it look as if you have done a violation on purpose.
- Avoid using harsh, hostile language. Keep your appeal friendly and polite.
- Submit the form as a private individual, not as a business. Requesting a personal review instead of a business review usually gets the Instagram account recovered faster.
- Remember the name you have written in the appeal form. Instagram will not check it. However, you will need it later on.
- If your appeals keep getting rejected, try changing your location. This will give you the chance of dealing with different members of the Instagram support team. To change your location, use a VPN and set your location to another country. Then, send the appeal form.
Check your email regularly, after submitting the appeal. Instagram usually replies with a request to send a selfie while holding a white piece of paper. On it, you need to write your full name, username, and the code or number that Instagram has sent you.
Make sure your face and the code are visible and clear in the picture. It will take Instagram a few days to review the photo. They will then get back to you either saying your account has been reactivated or your appeal has been declined.
Reach out to Facebook support
If the appeals you submitted did not resolve the issue, you can start contacting Facebook Support. This method works better for Instagram business accounts. Here is what you need to do:
- You need to have an Instagram Business account. If you do not own one, create a new account. To activate this account, post a couple of pictures, write a simple bio, put a profile picture, etc.
- Choose one of the posts you have created and promote it. This is the simplest way to run an ad. To do this, you will be asked to connect your Instagram account to your Facebook account. Moreover, this step will automatically create a Facebook Ad Manager account for you.
- After your Ad goes live, you will have access to the Facebook chat feature. Use it to reach the support team. They can help you recover your disabled Instagram account.
Use another Instagram account to report the issue
If all the above solutions did not work, this is your last hope. You can contact Instagram support through another account. Use your friend’s Instagram account or if you have a second account you can also use it. Visit the Instagram Help Center. There, you will find a form. Fill it out to report the issue. After a while, the Instagram support team will contact you to resolve the problem. The process is very similar to submitting an appeal.
- Related: How to keep your details safe online
Even AI’s make mistakes. So, do not panic if you woke up one day to find that your Instagram account has been disabled. With a little persistence, you can recover your account and all the data and media on it. Just remember to use any social media platform in moderation.
Always, save a backup of all the critical data you have on Instagram. So, if you lose your Instagram account for good, you will not lose everything you have built on it.